Information for Attendees
|The advantage of a virtual convention is that the barrier to attendance has been drastically lowered. Anyone in the world can attend as long as they have access to a computer with an internet connection|
What do I need to attend the convention?
You'll need a computer with sound capability and an internet connection with a browser.
The computer can be either:
- a Mac with OS X 10.4 or higher
- a PC with Windows XP SP2 (or higher), Vista, or Windows 7
- a Linux box
The internet connection should be able to support real time audio (for example, Skype) in order to listen to the seminars.
The browser can either:
- Safari 2 or higher
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Firefox 2.0 or higher
- Other browsers will need to be tested for capability
The sound system that came with your computer is all that's necessary for listening to the seminars. You may find that headphones increases the quality of the sound (and reduces your impact on others within hearing range).
And that's it!
What can I do at this convention?
Here are some of the things you can do during the convention itself:
1) Attend the seminars
We are still recruiting speakers, but here's a list of topics that we are pursuing:
- History of bookmarks
- Cultural values/usages
- Displaying collections
- Organizing collections
- Examples of specific collections
- Demonstrations on making bookmarks (pick any craft)
- Using eBay and other auction sites
- Online retail/craft sites
- Bookmark swaps
- Bookmark collecting groups/organizations
- Stories from collectors – how a collection came together
- Unusual aspects of collecting
- Bookmark contests used to promote reading/etc.
- Expanding the field, educating the public, bringing in new collector
2) Visit the Galleries
See individual collections of bookmarks as well as collaborative exhibits on various invited topics.
3) Check out the Trade Show
You can visit with vendors, see their products and services, ask questions, finding a bargain or two.
4) Visit on the Forums
Interact with other collectors, speakers, and vendors. Get your questions answered and share your expertise with others. Arrange trades with other collectors.
5) Read papers and other documents
Download from our repository of documents including the notes from presentations.
What else do I get as part of my registration?
There will be an exclusive bookmark commemorating the first Bookmark Collectors Virtual Convention sent to everyone who registers!
How do I register?
Check out the registration page.